Friday, December 28, 2007

What a Week!

Remember how I was going to show you my fridge? Well, here it is:



It was a very "aftful" season by both girls. I think my favorite was Bug's card to her dad: it read "I would hope you would keep this card." He did.


Well, it's been a crazy busy week. I'm sure all of you felt the same way. It started out with dinner with my friends, including my friend who is leaving in a few weeks for Afhghanistan. I tried to hide her suitcase but she went back to D.C. anyway to get ready. We'll keep her in our thoughts and prayers ever day until she comes back in the summer.


Next up was dinner with my parents and siblings. My nieces and nephews are all quite a bit older than my kids, but they are so fabulous to play and have fun and make them feel a part. We have a delicious dinner, a program, and (of course) presents. I think the girls' favorite part was decorating a gingerbread house.



I need to add that our gingerbread house had some structural integrity issue and did not make it home intact. But we enjoyed snacking on it for the next two days.


That night, Erin came to town. We have had such a great time being with her and Kara and Bri and Adam. I think our favorite part was decorating sugar cookies (our favorites seem to be focusing around food here . . . interesting). I think the adults had as much fun as the kids, but The Guy seemed to think it was OK. Christmas Eve brought another program and another fabulous dinner (yep, more food), courtesy of Erin and Kara.



Christmas day was very fun, except for the seven year-old curled up in a ball in the corner and running for the bathroom every thirty minutes (too much food? nah). Merry Christmas. "Santa" resolved to keep things very simple this year. The kids got one small toy each and a new set of sheets. Funny thing is, by the time we were all done opening presents from Nanas and Grandpas and Grandmas and Grandpas and Aunts and Uncles . . . well, I'm still digging out. But such fun gifts, such generous and loving family. We are truly blessed.


So, there's my week in a nutshell. I'm just about finished digging out from all our "festivating", and, strangely, enjoying putting the Christmas decorations away and getting simplified and organized. It's been so chaotic for two weeks, it's really refreshing to get put back together and hit the new year running.


Question for the Week: Where do you all stand on New Year's resolutions? Mine usually last about five minutes, so I've strayed from them the past few years. I love the idea of making a new start in the new year. I just think it's become very cliche and very few of us really intend to making meaningful changes in the upcoming year. What do you think?


I'm hoping to feel much less fried and much more creative next week so I can dazzle you all with my wit and keen grasp of syntax and grammer. Until then, I'm off to take a nap.


Happy New Year!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the refridgerator art belongs in a museum...Kudos to the talented and aspiring artists--Emma and Ellie!