Monday, December 17, 2007

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS: Listen To The Music!

I'm a music nut. Especially at Christmas time. While my DH (ok, my husband . . . the DH thing is just too weird for me) decorates earlier and earlier each year, I turn on the music earlier and earlier each year. Seem fair, don't you think?


My brother called me last week and offered us tickets to go here last Saturday night, but after taking 45 minutes to travel four blocks, we missed it. The bug was sad she couldn't pretend she was eight. After discussing the moral ramifications of fudging my daughters age by seven months, we determined we were in better shape than the people who were auctioning off free tickets to a Temple Square concert for $100 a pop to "help out a family in need." Yeah, right. I need a Wii. But after it was all said and done, it just strengthened our resolve to try to go next year, and the violin on the tree at Little America where Bug and I took our picture after dinner was as musical as our evening got.


Yesterday, however, we added a little more music to our world. I know, I know, again with the shameless child parading, but I love her and I love Christmas music. So it works. Hey Mom, don't you think Bug's teacher looks like my teacher when I was her age?


All in all, a pretty musical weekend. Now I should share with you some of my favorite CD's in our Christmas box. Here goes:

  1. Josh Groban "Noel". Sigh.
  2. Bing Crobsy Christmas Collection
  3. The Carpenters. Actually my husband made me say that. I'm not a fan. But it's in our box.
  4. Anything by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. We had one Christmas record growing up. I'm surprised I didn't wear it out. But I've always associated Christmas with "the choir."
  5. Jim Brickman "The Gift."
  6. Johnny Mathis Christmas collection. Again, more bretto's favorite than mine.
  7. David Foster "The Christmas Album." So fun. However, currently AWOL. I think one of the kids ate it.
  8. Charlotte Church "Dream a Dream." It's just fun to watch DH run screaming from the room.

And we've got a couple more that we listen to selected tracks from. And thank you to radio stations who now start playing Christmas music in August. There's just something about Christmas music that makes your house a home and makes everything seem cosy, warm and inviting. Don't you think?

Up Next: Christmas Reads for the Adults!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this addition made my day. How wonderful to listen to Emma playing beautfiful Christmas music. Who needs Christmas cds when they can have someone as talented as Emma playing them! Emma, you are amazing. Thank you, Mommy for providing the video--absolutely loved it!