Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas Traditions: SNOWFLAKES!

I thought I would let you, my blogging public (I think I'm into 10's of loyal fans all over the globe now! Yeah me!) in on some of the things we are doing with our family this year to celebrate Christmas. I must say the first order of business for any parent who wants to keep their sanity at Christmas time is to put on lots of recorded shows when their children watch TV. No commercials! If I hear "OOH, that looks great! I want that!" one more time, the next picture posted on my blog will be of our beautiful TV with a screwdriver through the screen! But I digress . . .

We participated in two of our favorite Christmas activities this weekend, the first of which I'll show you today. I love making snowflakes and the girls really got into it this year (The Guy wasn't interest in the snowflakes but played nearby with his trains, one for each hand, naturally). Number 1 did some great work, Number 2 needs to work on actually cutting pieces out of her snowflakes instead of just cutting into them! Here are some before and after shots:



I wish these photos were better. They don't really do justice to our collective creative genius. But serious backlighting + amateur photographer = sketchy pictures.


Oh, and don't forget the celebratory eating of ice cream (we think The Guy's ice cream was dirt flavored or something, from the look on that face). Anyone who knows my husband's family knows that most activities are followed by eating ice cream. Make snowflakes, eat ice cream . . . play in the snow, eat ice cream . . . get out of bed in the morning, eat ice cream . . . get the picture? I think we're the only home on the block where ice cream is listed on our food storage list. Wheat, check! Oats, check! Honey, check! Rocky Road, check!

So we're looking even more festive around here today. Aren't these original snowflakes fun?

Next up, dinner and decorating at Grandma and Grandpa's house!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Those are the best snowflakes ever made!

Anonymous said...

What fun! I wish I could be there to make a snowflake to hang with yours! Emma, your snowflake was amazing! Well done! Ellie, your snowflake was darling...just like you! I also loved the look on Ryguy's face...goodness, ice cream is supposed to make a Hallstrom happy! What a good mommy you all have that takes the time to help you celebrate this wonderful time of the year!