Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Holly Jolly Report

We had one of our best Christmases ever this year.  And (surprise, surprise), it had nothing to do with the packages under the tree.  (But don't get me wrong, those were great fun . . . thanks, everyone, for your love and generosity).  I think my kids got the idea this year that Christmas is about loving everyone around us and being generous with our time, talents and resources.  Every year my family does a service project, most often we donate to a "Bishop's Storehouse" where bishops can send families in need to shop for Christmas.  Bug was totally into it, Belle did very well and Guy didn't understand why the man at D.I. was taking his toys away.  We'll keep working on him!  After that we had a great night of family, food, stories and games.  I honestly don't think anyone would have noticed if we hadn't opened one present.  (But, again, we did, and they were fabulous.  Thanks, everybody!)



A Boy And His (well, his Grandparents') Train . . . Priceless.

Christmas Eve was a fabulous day.  A huge storm had been promised on Christmas Day so we visited with my parents just in case we couldn't see each other the next day.  It was so great to be relaxed and calm and just have a chance to visit.  Oh, yeah, and there were presents.  Great presents!


I think my favorite Christmas memory was listening to Bug and her Grandpa play "chopsticks" on the piano.  I tear up everytime I think about it.  My kids have the incredible blessing of having the best four grandparents ever.  

In the evening we had a cyber-Christmas Eve.  What a blessing to have web-cams where even if our family is half-way across the world, we can still be together.  We sang, read scriptures, told stories, laughed and cried (literally . . . would you expect anything else of me?).

Christmas morning was a typical child's Christmas: chaos.  There were puzzles and books and clothes and candy and dolls and balls and candy and candy.  I always insist that there at least be an orange involved somewhere in the mess!  



Really, I promise, there's a house here somewhere.

After all of our storm-planning, the snow didn't arrive until evening.  So, Grandma and Grandpa came to our house, too.  It was great fun, but full of chaos and a very cranky, over-stimulated three year-old.  We were lucky to have Erin and Kara with us not just for Christmas Eve but the next night as well, due to our late-arriving storm.  Thanks, Mother Nature!

We were blessed with an amazing Christmas, one that I will always remember as a favorite.   We hope yours was just as great!

2 comments:

Adam and Bri said...

I love the picture of Ryan gazing at the train with his hands under his chin. So cute!

And it was so great to virtually be with you all.

Diane said...

Oh, I would love to be in the thick of your Christmas 'mess' of dolls, trains, cars, candy, paper--well, you get the picture. So happy you had a fabulous Christmas. Sure do love you and your sweet family!