Friday, February 6, 2009

Conference Talk Friday: Elder Oaks

Have you ever listened to a talk that made you adjust yourself in your seat, cough uncomfortably and look down at your hands, instead of at the speaker?  Well, Elder Oaks talk was one of those for me.  


For 8 1/2 years now I've used the excuse of "oh, I have little children, it's ok if we're not perfectly reverent all the time during Sacrament meeting." I figure if I show up, I'm good.  Elder Oaks, in his very cool, very direct but also very kind way, presents the idea that Sacrament meeting is so much more than just showing up.    We get out of it what we put into it, skwirmy kids and all.

How do I prepare for Sacrament meeting?  Well, moment of truth here, despite every desire to be early to the meeting, sitting pressed and steamed on the third row, that does not happen every Sunday.  There are certain Sundays that we screach into the parking lot, steam coming from my ears, yelling at my adorable children to hurry up.  Wow, I can't believe I just admitted to that!  But we're working really hard to plan and prepare beforehand (remember the old primary song "Saturday is a Special Day" . . . yeah) so that we can arrive on time with some semblance of the spirit still with our family.

I loved his words about preparing and passing the Sacrament and personally pondering the importance of the Sacrament.  The Sacrament is so important we repreat it every week, giving us a new opportunity to be better every week, skwirmy kids and all. 

1 comments:

Diane said...

Loved his talk as well. I also loved hearing your thoughts on it. It IS hectic to get to church on time and in a somewhat peaceful mood...the key is to not give up! By the way, I think you do an admirable job!