Friday, February 20, 2009

Conference Talk Friday: Elder Holland

I always love Elder Holland's talks.  He has such a kind demeanor and his words always lift, encourage and strengthen.  His talk, "The Ministry of Angels" is no exception.


The older I get, the more I see the angels around me.  Think of the Alabama song "Angels Among Us."  I think it often takes the benefit of a few years distance to see how Heaveny Father has blessed you as you struggle through trials.  I know I am just beginning to see some of the blessings that have been poured out on my little family as we've made our way through life.

Elder Holland talks first about scriptural accounts of angels ministering to man.  Look some up, you'll be amazed at how long your list becomes.  Then he talks about being worthy of angelic protection.  We must "search diligently [study the scriptures], pray always and be believing [have Faith] . . . and remember the covenant wherewith we have covenanted. [temple attendance]"  Interesting.  Seems I've seen this list somewhere before.  

Elder Holland then turns his attention to mortal angels.  I think each one of has been blessed to know a few of these.  I loved the story he relates about the young boy who found himself, by his own mistake, on the wrong side of a raging river.  Only by his father not only following the list above, but by living in constant conversation with the Spirit, was he rescued.

I am eternally grateful to have been born into a family with two watchful parents, my own personal angels, the greatest big sister ever and two big brothers who constantly watch over me.  I was equally blessed to marry into a family where two angels watch over all of us and sisters who love my kids like their own.  I also have been surrounded by friends and neighbors who have somehow known when we have needed a lift.

I now have a new favorite scripture.  D&C 84:88.  "I will go before your face.  I will be on your right hand and on your left . . . my Spirit shall be in your heart, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."  Who could doubt with promises like that. (In case you were wondering, my favorite scripture is Proverbs 3:5-6.)  

Watch for those angels around you and try as Elder Holland says: "may we all try to be a little more angelic ourselves -- with a kind word, a strong arm, a declaration of faith . . . perhaps then we can be emissaries sent from God when someone, perhaps a Primary child, is crying, 'Darkness ... afraid ... river ... alone.'"

0 comments: