Friday, January 16, 2009

Conference Talk Friday

I have posted about President Uchtdorf's talk from Women's Conference before, but honestly, it's become a bit of a mantra to me.  I am way too easily swayed by the voices in my head and around me saying that what I contribute to this world is not good enough.  


As I gave his talk a second, third, fourth, fifth read, I started to focus on all of the main points of his talk, not just his point about being creative beings (I used that one for a while to justify my CADD).  I have been thinking a lot lately about God's happiness.  God's happiness is not in living in the biggest, newest house on the block, driving the biggest car, taking your kids to the most lessons of anyone in your neighborhood.  God's happiness comes from being creative (our Heavenly Father is the most creative being in the universe), being compassionate (sometimes a chore with tired, whiny three year-olds), and being an instrument in His hands.  

This last point is very interesting to me.  The instrument does not dictate the path, it is used along the path.  This requires us to give to our Heavenly Father the only that, really, He did not give us, our own will.  Wow can that be scary sometimes!  How often have we felt we needed to do something, even though our own "rational" thoughts are telling us otherwise?  And what would we have missed if we had applied worldly logic instead of listening to the Spirit?

Read through President Uchtdorf's talk as soon as you can.  Or watch it in the website, he's so much fun!  You'll feel better about yourself and inspired to do better.  

Have a great week!

1 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for the uplifting post! So true.