Friday, January 30, 2009

Conference Talk Friday: To Learn, To Do, To Be

Two weeks ago, our Relief Society studied this talk from President Monson.  Our discussion was a little different, being from a women's perspective.  President Monson has such a wonderful way of expressing himself, I can always hear his voice in my head when I read this talks. 


To Learn:  We spend our entire life in the church learning.  At 18 months we are put into classes where we are taught and guided.  But that's not where the real learning should come from.  We should never walk into a Sunday School/Priesthood/Relief Society lesson where we haven't already studied and prayed over the lesson to be presented.  Our children should learn nothing from primary that they haven't already been taught at home.  Good thing we have a lifetime to work on that one, right?  President Monson used my new favorite scriptures from Hebrews 12, "Lay aside . . . sin[;] . . . let us run with patience the race . . . set before us, looking [for an example] unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith."

To Do:  Once we have learned, we must do what we have learned.  What a logical progression, but one that many people do not get!  It truly frightens me to know if I don't do my best I will be held responsible for those souls I might have helped had I done my duty! 

To Be: I try to ask myself this question frequently: "Do the people around me know what I stand for before they even meet me?  And do they feel the same way after they meet me?"  Depending on my answer, I can do a little self-check.  As a result of all of this learning and doing, we, little by little, will be one with Christ.

Have a great week, everyone!

0 comments: