Saturday, February 23, 2008

Smart Habit Saturday -- JOURNAL WRITING!


At the end of January I attended a meeting focusing on journal writing. I've always been nervous to write in a journal, afraid that someone besides me will actually read them some day, but after this evening, I felt OK about just writing for me and not my great-great-granddaughter! So, I've been writing every night since then. It's been great in a lot of ways:


-- I can work through some feelings on paper rather than having my eyeballs pop out of my head,

-- I feel more structure to my day, so I've actually been doing better on other habits around the house,

-- If I forget what happened last week, I can look back and see if I've written about it, and

-- I can preserve those moments with my kids that are passing me by all-too-fast.

99% of what I write I'm sure will never be of any interest to anyone. And I think I'll probably need to leave a note before I die on which pages need to go into my coffin with me. But it feels great to take a moment at the end of each day and look back.

I've also been working on Lara's habit of doing a load of laundry each day. I only do one load a day and it just takes a few minutes to load and then switch to the dryer. But I love just doing laundry at my house, not LAUNDRY. I know you all know what I mean. And it's kind of tying into my journal-writing habit, too. I'm such a creature of habit, routines, crossing off to-do lists, getting these particular projects done . . . yes, my husband is right now rolling his eyes and throwing his hands up in the air at the same time. It just feels great to have some of that structure to my day.

So pop in a load of laundry and then sit down and record some of your thoughts for today. And have a fabulous week!

5 comments:

Ter said...

welcome to SMART Habit Saturday!

Lara said...

Laundry and writing. What a fabulous routine! I will have to think about that one.

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

That is a GREAT habit! I used to write every night when I was working through a divorce and I can't explain how much it helped me. And yeah I too will have those pages BURNED after I die! Great job on the laundry too. Good luck having a SMART week!

Rebecca said...

Sounds like your habits are going great! I'm sure that your great great granddaughters would find it interesting to read about your life, even the mundane. Or like you said, throw it in the coffin and let no one else see. I used to journal but have had a hard time getting back into it. I do make lists though & that helps to clear my mind of all the things I worry about forgetting.

SmallandCheery said...

Good for you! Now, could you come over and write in my journal and do my laundry? I have nice detergent and everything.........