Monday, October 15, 2007

They Call Me the Little Red Hen

Remember the story of the Little Red Hen who grinds her wheat and bakes bread for her family, who squeal in delight at what a domestic goddess their mother is? Well, move over, Chicken, 'cause there's a new sheriff in town. Check it out, but please . . . don't lick the screen.



I didn't take a picture of me grinding the wheat with my mom's wheat grinder. I have such great memories of that thing. It was always my job to grind the wheat on bread-making day. I remembered every sound the machine made.



Note to self: half this recipe next time. Yes, folks, that is what 8 loaves of bread look like.

And, drum roll please . . .


Now, I realize this is wheat bread, not cold fusion. But to me, I always thought of making home-made bread as the pinaccle of the "domestic arts." I was extremely proud of myself. Just ask anyone in my family and they'll tell you. And as an added bonus, my 4 year-old ate it! And she asked for more. That, my friends, is a victory.
Have a great week everyone!

4 comments:

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

I could almost smell the bread as I read your blog! You ARE a domestic queen...very impressive! I have my family trained to think I have think I am wonderful when I serve Rhodes HOME-BAKED rolls, fresh from the Costco freezer! My Mom and her Mom had the same recipe, so figure I am in good company! (I drop from that position very quickly however...maybe if I truly did them from scratch I could stay up there longer?!) By the way, the Little Red Hen is one of my favorite stories. Used it in a Sunbeam lesson last year about helping and working together; after I was all done telling it one of my little girls raised her hand and said, "At my house we are taught to SHARE!"...I had to do a little re-writing?!

Kara said...

Oh, I can almost still smell its delightful aroma. Delicious.

Anonymous said...

Now Julianne...WHY couldn't you have made this while we were still in the country! THe loaves look wonderful! I am sure that they tasted great. Congratulations on eight very impressive loaves and your cute 4 year old asking for seconds!

SmallandCheery said...

Excellent Work!