Thursday, August 16, 2007

Repeat After Me: I Am Not Old!

I keep having to remind myself of this fact lately, and I'm not sure why. My oldest niece called me last week with the fabulous news that she's engaged. I found myself, honestly and truthfully, saying "but you're only 12 years old." In truth, she's a beautiful young woman, ready in every way to start her life with her fiance. My niece and I basically grew up together, being closer in age than some siblings, so I have always thought of her as a little sister, not really a niece. And now that she's getting married, graduating from college and going off to grad. school, I'm just going to have to own up to the fact that I'm getting old . . . well, older. I can deal with that. But my hairdresser and I still have a secret code of honor "do not, I repeat, do not ever tell me you've found a grey hair . . . just color it and smile!" And, of course, make me look 10 years younger by the time she gets married in January. Easy, right?! I love you guys. Congrats!



(The newly-engaged's with future father-in-law lurking in the background. Interfering already, eh big brother?)

And she's not the only one making me feel old this week, either. My oldest nephew just turned 20 and is living in Cambodia right now. We correspond by e-mail mostly these days, but this week his mom sent me a picture of him and I just about fell out of my chair. When exactly did my nephew turn into Dr. McDreamy? He's so startingly handsome, I can hear my brother right now sharpening his stick to beat off the girls with when he comes home. I've been hearing the maturity in his e-mails, but to see it really threw me for a loop. In my mind, he's this cute little toddler running around our living room on Christmas day, shooting hoops with his new Nerf Basketball set. And then, as if I'm not feeling ancient enough as it is, two more of my nieces will be starting college this week at different universities in-state. Pass the prune-juice!


But, as a note of comfort, I have been reminded recently of two facts: 1) I am not yet old enough to run for President of the United States, and 2) I do not yet qualify for membership in the AARP. 'I'm sorry, you're just too young.' I think I might call them just for the ego boost. In the meantime, will my relatives please stop growing up?! You're making me look old!

0 comments: