Thursday, September 11, 2008

Will the Best Candidate Please Stand?!

Beej and I have been following the presidential election very closely and I have to say, the whole thing is really starting to give me a monstrous headache! Here's why:


-- We live in the absolutely, hands down, no doubt about it, most wonderful country on earth. I truly believe our Heavenly Father guided the establishment of our nation. Read David McCullough's "1776" if you don't believe me. BUT, most of our politicians (notice I didn't say leaders) are doing their best to mess that up by making us a nation of sides: culture v. culture, man v. woman, party v. party, religion v. religion, rich v. poor, etc. When has that ever really solved any problem? I guess it keeps all of us wondering, the debaters screaming, and their paychecks coming.


-- I would love to make a completely educated vote in two months (I absolutely refuse to vote straight party-line, sorry Mom), but I don't know that I will ever be able to do it. The truth is buried under about five thousand layers of spin, hidden somewere between sound bytes, rallies of party die-hards, celebrity endorsements, and media bias.


-- We seem to have come to believe as a nation that all you need to run this most fabulous nation on earth is the ability to give a fabulous speech. I'm pointing an accusing finger at both sides here, people.


-- There are still many true patriots left in our great nation. They must be even more frustrated than I am, having the desire and ambition to work for all of us but being hog-tied by a system that only rewards and promotes those who follow the party-line. I'm sure some of them have simply thrown their hands in the air and left the life of public service.

-- On a very self-critical note, it also seems everyone in this blessed nation of ours is an expert, knowing exactly what should be done to solve all of our ills, how each of us should live our lives, and what each of us should think, but being totally unwilling to do anything about it. We have too many people clucking their tongues about "how broken the system is" but who are more than willing to let someone else do the dirty work, whether they do it right or not. I'm one of those apathetic voters, I admit. But being a more educated voter is a start, right? Right?!

So I'll climb down off of soapbox now and continue my quiet life of raising three kids in the 'burbs. I'll keep trying to do my best to sort through the information being chucked at me at the speed of light and try to find a patriot to lead our nation.

Will someone hand me an Excedrin, please?

3 comments:

Erin said...

I totally agree with you Julianne. It drives me bonkers how messed up and dumbed down our process for selecting our political leaders are. The thing that frustrates me more is that spin and negative ads and party politics works. I think in general, the American people are just too bored and uninterested to deal with more than the latest sound bite. So sad.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

AMEN! We have some of the greatest minds & people in the world here, why can't we just get to things and start solving them? I think there is alot of B of M cycle going on here...self interest, pride, flattering words, etc., etc. The economical mom in me just gets sick at the amount of money thst is paying for this "dance"...what problems we could solve with that money alone?!

Jill said...

Could not agree with you more. I feel exactly the same way about the upcoming election. I see benefits to both candidates, yet it seems impossible to cut through the hype and feel truly devoted to one person. Promises made before office are a waste to me simply because I don't believe that any plan can be perfect until it is proven. And unfortunately we Americans seem to be people of trend at times.