Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Don't Land In The Brocolli

Has it been over a month?! Well, I was distracted by non-Newberry reading for a bit. If you're interested in those, you'll just have to check out my goodreads list! Are you intrigued yet?

My return to Newberry-land was a doozy! 2010 Newberry Award winner When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead, was fantastic! You've really got to pick this one up and check it out for yourselves, especially if you're a fan of A Wrinkle In Time. It won't take you long to read, don't worry. I finished this one in a few days of quiet before-bed reading plus a mini road-trip.

The writing in this book is excellent. The voicing, the format, her syntax . . . they all combine to draw you into Mira's world. A special treat was how the author inserted great descriptions of Mira's surroundings. I could feel the textures of the walls as she describes them. Excellent! The story is so clever and unique and tackles several ideas seamlessly. And don't quit before the end or you'll miss one whopper of a plot-twist! Well, maybe I should say, it was quite a twist for me. A contributor to a message board I read said he had the whole thing figured out. I guess I'm just not quite that fast on the uptake!

Definitely put When You Reach Me on your reading list. And then call me so we talk about it!

I've got quite the road trip coming up, so I'm packing two books with me: The Princess Academy, and Mr. Popper's Penguins. Stay tuned, everybody!

0 comments: